Thursday, September 11, 2008

My first days as an East-coast missionary

So here I am, sitting in an office full of my fellow missionaries, trying to figure out what in the world to write about to summarize the first four crazy days of what I think is going to be one of the most awesome years of my life. 

Daunting task? Yes. 
I'm writing run-on sentences just thinking about it. 

Leaving home wasn't as hard as I thought it was going to be, surprisingly. I didn't even cry once. Despite how sad I was to leave the BKLT family, and how much I knew I was going to miss my family, I have been nothing but excited since I knew I would be coming to Covecrest. And it hasn't really stopped since. 




I am already loving the community here at Covecrest; it is so great to walk with God in the company of a bunch of great, holy people! Even though we haven't even been here for a full week yet, I can already see ties starting to form, and true community life beginning to happen. A couple days ago, we were deep-cleaning the San Damiano Inn, a task that is not for the faint-hearted--you would be suprised at what teens leave behind underneath mattresses when they come to camp (we did get a total of 4 dollars though!). It was dirty. It was hot. There was a lot of bleach involved.

Not exactly how I would choose to spend a Wednesday afternoon.

But a funny thing happened...every time I would flip over a mattress, find something less-than-desirable, and start complaining to myself, I would look around and see Colleen cleaning off the top of a window frame, or Carla underneath a bed scrubbing a floorboard, or Alex vacuuming an air conditioning vent; and it made me check myself, pick up my bleach bottle, and have another go.

I've been reading A Simple Path by Mother Teresa, and in it is a quote from one of the Missionaries of Charity sisters that I was reflecting on during Holy Hour the other day: "Whatever I do, I do it for Jesus. Otherwise it is worthless, useless. So when I know I am doing it for Him, I can do it more lovingly, more compassionately...It gives a lot of meaning to my life to know I am doing it for Him." And you know what? As unglamorous as cleaning out all those rooms was, and as much as I really wanted to sigh out loud when we finished and then went over to clean Cole House, I looked around at the other 7 people carrying buckets and bleach, and remembered that quote, and I knew that as hard as the work may be, we're doing it for God. And it was so encouraging to know that we, as a community, are all in this together.

Who knew that all that would come from flipping mattresses?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

everyone reading your blog benefits greatly from your degree. and your personal talent :)

keep them coming girl. you're amazing.
i miss you

The Murphinator said...

Isn't it amazing what one can find in the darkest of places? Imagine that, Jesus was waiting for you all summer under a matress and amongst the rotting sandwiches, fruit, and candy. I guess it is true that He will go to all lengths to be with us.

We miss you terribly back home at BK, but we are so proud that you have embarked on this journey of spiritual, physical, and emotional growth. By the sound of your post, it looks as though God placed you in very special company.

Keep the updates coming! Don't worry about the run-on sentences, they only prove that the Grammar Hammer is human after all. There is only One that is perfect, so we will continue to love you because of your imperfections. However, I bet your parents are wondering why they spent all that money on education when you can't even construct a proper sentence...JK.

We love you SO much!

RJ said...

OMG!!!..hey I am so glad that your first days were crazy and insightful...I know you are going to have a great time there...and learn so much from this amazing expericence...I know you will be struggling so much but find guidance through the Grace of God. I pray that Mother Mary wraps her arms around you and protect you.

<3
RyRy

PS Im trying to get RyRy to RJ for my nickname...haha

Unknown said...

Man reading your blogs are like reading a novel that just gets better as it goes on! Keep up the good work out there. We all miss you here and have been praying for you. It sounds like you are having a blast while doing God's work. I hope you are doing well and I cant wait to get another update!

-Red

Michelle said...

I m so excited for YOU!! This is an amazing journey.. spiritual, physical, emotional.. just EVERYTHING! You are such an inspiration to ME and to so many!! As for the cleaning and flipping mattresses, i was wondering if your crew wanted to take a trip out to santa Clarita for some "Fall cleaning"......? :) jk... I'll have to do my OWN things with great love.... :) Always praying for you. You are Da Bomb!!!! Love, Michelle

p.s. Dave and boys get to go to the Notre Dame game this weekend.. in South Bend!!! and they get to go to Mass at the Basilica there! Way cool!!!

Have an AWESOME Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!