Friday, September 26, 2008

Time flies at Covecrest!

It's Friday. When did that happen?
It's amazing how quickly time passes here; I guess that's what happens when you're constantly on the move, planning or preparing something. I think one of the hardest things for me to adjust to here is just being active all the time. I feel like I'm never quite on top of things, like I'm constantly running at 95% instead of 100. I'm hoping that this is just something that will work itself out in time, that I won't feel like I'm grasping at loose ends all the time. Sarah (one of the missionaries from last year who's staying on to be hospitality coordinator and cook amazing meals!) was telling me that it took her about a month to get into the swing of things; I hope she's right!

I do feel a little better now that we have our first retreat under our belt. I didn't think it would be possible to plan a retreat in full in just one week; this just goes to show you that God does indeed provide. I am actually really impressed with how well we worked together on this retreat; everyone is still trying to get a grasp on everyone else's gifts, but we're slowly starting to know more about each other and this was a real learning experience for all of us.

The group of 8th graders we had here for the last three days were flat out amazing--they blew my socks off. I never get tired of seeing someone grasp something new about the reality of God, and this was one of those weekends. The group of teens that came in on Wednesday night and the group that left this afternoon were completely different; you wouldn't even know it was the same bunch of people. All my experiences with Confirmation groups just did not prepare me for how amazed I am with this group. And the most amazing thing is, we only saw these kids for 3 days, but I love all of them! It's still just so crazy that people have an implicit trust in us as missionaries; the teachers basically called us up and said "put on a retreat for us, do what you want!"

Speaking of a missionary way of life, we sort of have a "fast food ministry" on the side here at Covecrest. Mondays are our day off, and we usually go out to eat somewhere (because, frankly, although we love Sarah's cooking, we do get tired of leftovers). So this last Monday, we took a trip down to Chick-fil-A (which is basically my new favorite restaurant--they have chicken everything, amazing dipping sauce, and Christian radio playing in the background). Since it was my first Chick-fil-A experience, everyone was giving me advice on what to order, and the lady working at the counter asked me why I was in Georgia. So I started talking about being a missionary at Covecrest, and, wouldn't you know it, she wants to be a missionary but just doesn't know who to contact or how to get involved. So after telling her about the Vision magazine, I told her I would keep her in my prayers, and she said she would pray for me too. God works in amazing places, yes?

If this blog seems a little more disjointed and unorganized than usual, you're right. I'm exhausted. So I apologize, but I hope you'll understand that I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment, and I will try and get back to some state of organization in the near future. I love you all and I'm praying for you!

3 comments:

The Murphinator said...

D-
Your 95% is better than most people who give 90%. Keep that one in your back pocket and 95% won't seem that bad! You may walk around with a confused look on your face while contemplating this, but the others will know exactly what is on your mind. I'm beginning to understand why you never took advice from me...

If the other missionaries have half the gifts that you bring to the table, you'll bring those teens more gifts than a Salvation Army toy drive.

mamacita said...

After reading through you and the other missionaries blogs I just want to say "WHEW" as I wipe my brow!
Crazy busy but so blessed!

I can only imagine how much more solid you will be as a collective once you discover and embrace the gifts and talents each one of you bring...and how dynamic your ministry work will become!

Love you very much-
Mom :)

Unknown said...

chick-fil-a...